Looking for something to read? A great gift? Inspiration? Look no further than Lisa Sharkey. Lisa Sharkey is the senior vice president and director of creative development for HarperCollins Publishers. Joan Hamburg sits down with Lisa to talk career moves, the hottest new books, and so much more!
Looking for your next great read or a last minute gift? Lisa knows books! Check out her holiday gift guide below:
For the Women in Your Life
- The Other Side of the Coin by Angela Kelly
- THE OFFICIAL BOOK, FULLY ENDORSED BY QUEEN ELIZABETH II. From Her Majesty’s trusted confidant and Dresser Angela Kelly LVO comes a lavishly designed book of never-before-seen photos of The Queen, Her wardrobe and Her jewels and features intimate anecdotes from Angela’s 25-year career working closely with Her Majesty. A truly unique keepsake and collectors’ item to be treasured.
- Queen Bee by Dottie Frank
- Immerse yourself in the enchanting world of New York Times bestselling author Dorothea Benton Frank’s Carolina Lowcountry in this evocative tale that returns at long last to her beloved Sullivan’s Island.
- The Game of Desire by Shan Boodram
- Women: gain control and confidence in your love lives and find the relationship you want with this modern, life-changing guide from the certified sex educator, intimacy expert, and YouTube personality.
For the Men in Your Life
- For the Good of the Game by Bud Selig
- A New York Times bestseller. Foreword by Doris Kearns Goodwin. The longtime Commissioner of Major League Baseball provides an unprecedented look inside professional baseball today, focusing on how he helped bring the game into the modern age and revealing his interactions with players, managers, fellow owners, and fans nationwide.
- Three Days at the Brink by Bret Baier
- From the #1 bestselling author and award-winning anchor of Special Report with Bret Baier, comes the gripping lost history of the Tehran Conference, where FDR, Churchill, and Stalin plotted D-Day and the Second World War’s endgame. With the fate of World War II in doubt and rumors of a Nazi assassination plot swirling, Franklin Roosevelt risked everything at a clandestine meeting that would change the course of history.
Literary Fiction Fans
- The Dutch House by Ann Patchett
- A Read with Jenna Today Show Book Club Pick! From the New York Times bestselling author of Commonwealth and State of Wonder, comes Ann Patchett’s most powerful novel to date: a richly moving story that explores the indelible bond between two siblings, the house of their childhood, and a past that will not let them go. The Dutch House is the story of a paradise lost, a tour de force that digs deeply into questions of inheritance, love and forgiveness, of how we want to see ourselves and of who we really are.
- Nothing to See Here by Kevin Wilson
- From the New York Times bestselling author of The Family Fang, a moving and uproarious novel about a woman who finds meaning in her life when she begins caring for two children with a remarkable ability.
- Targeted by Brittany Kaiser
- In this explosive memoir, a political consultant and technology whistleblower reveals the disturbing truth about the multi-billion-dollar data industry, revealing to the public how companies are getting richer using our personal information and exposing how Cambridge Analytica exploited weaknesses in privacy laws to help elect Donald Trump—and how this could easily happen again in the 2020 presidential election.
- The Enemy of the People by Jim Acosta
- From CNN’s veteran Chief White House Correspondent Jim Acosta, an explosive, first-hand account of the dangers he faces reporting on the current White House while fighting on the front lines in President Trump’s war on truth.
- After Life by Alice Marie Johnson
- The true-life story of the woman whose life sentence for non-violent drug trafficking was commuted by President Donald Trump thanks to the efforts of Kim Kardashian West—an inspiring memoir of faith, hope, mercy, and gratitude.
True Crime and Mystery
- The Killer Across the Table
- The legendary FBI criminal profiler, number-one New York Times bestselling author, and inspiration for the hit Netflix show Mindhunter delves deep into the lives and crimes of four of the most disturbing and complex predatory killers, offering never-before-revealed details about his profiling process, and divulging the strategies used to crack some of America’s most challenging cases.
- Never Have I Ever by Joshilyn Jackson
- Named a Best Book by USA Today • People • Wall Street Journal • Time • Entertainment Weekly • Bustle • and many more! From New York Times bestselling author Joshilyn Jackson, a twisting novel of domestic suspense in which a group of women play a harmless drinking game that escalates into a war of dark pasts
- The Lady in the Lake by Laura Lipman
- A New York Times Bestseller! The revered New York Times bestselling author returns with a novel set in 1960s Baltimore that combines modern psychological insights with elements of classic noir, about a middle-aged housewife turned aspiring reporter who pursues the murder of a forgotten young woman.
Cooking and Gifty Books
- The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse by Charles Mackesy
- NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER; WALL STREET JOURNAL BESTSELLER; USA TODAY BESTSELLER. From the revered British illustrator, a modern fable for all ages that explores life’s universal lessons, featuring 100 color and black-and-white drawings.
- The Pioneer Woman Cooks: The New Frontier by Rae Drummond
- #1 New York Times bestseller; The #1 New York Times bestselling author and Food Network favorite The Pioneer Woman cooks up exciting new favorites from her life on the ranch in this glorious full-color cookbook that showcases home cooking at its most delicious (and most fun!).
- Strange Planet by Nathan Pyle
- Straight from the mind of New York Times bestselling author Nathan W. Pyle, Strange Planet is an adorable and profound universe in pink, blue, green, and purple, based on the phenomenally popular Instagram of the same name!
- Cookie Class by Jenny Keller
- Turn a simple cookie recipe and one buttercream icing recipe into 120 delicious, decorative, and dazzling treats for any occasion with this exciting and colorful cookie decorating book illustrated with 100 stunning color photos throughout.
- It’s All in Your Head by Russ
- Instant National Bestseller! Wall Street Journal bestseller; USA Today bestseller; Publishers Weekly bestseller; international bestseller. An inspirational book by self-made musical superstar, Russ, reminding you that it starts with YOU, to believe in yourself, and to get out of your own way.
New in Paperback
- 13 Things Series by Amy Morin (People, Women, Parents)
- Expanding on her viral post that has become an international phenomenon, a psychotherapist offers simple yet effective solutions for increasing mental strength and finding happiness and success in life.
- The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris
- #1 New York Times Bestseller and #1 International Bestseller. This beautiful, illuminating tale of hope and courage is based on interviews that were conducted with Holocaust survivor and Auschwitz-Birkenau tattooist Ludwig (Lale) Sokolov—an unforgettable love story in the midst of atrocity.
- Pick 3 by Randi Zuckerberg
- A New York Times bestseller! In this motivational handbook—both a business how-to and self-help guide—the New York Times bestselling author of Dot Complicated takes on the fallacy of the “well-balanced” life, arguing that the key to success is learning to be well-lopsided. Work. Sleep. Fitness. Family. Friends. Pick Three.
- Dear Girl, and Dear Boy, by Paris Rosenthal, Amy Krouse Rosenthal, and Jason Rosenthal
- Dear Girl: The #1 New York Times bestseller that Today show co-anchor Hoda Kotb calls “a beautiful, beautiful book.” The New York Times bestselling author of I Wish You More, Amy Krouse Rosenthal, and her daughter Paris Rosenthal collaborate to bring you the heartwarming and inspiring Dear Girl,
- Dear Boy: The #1 New York Times bestselling follow-up picture book to the #1 New York Times bestseller Dear Girl, by beloved children’s book author Amy Krouse Rosenthal and her daughter, Paris Rosenthal
- The Good Egg and Bad Seed series
- Good Egg: A #1 New York Times bestseller!: An Amazon Best Books of the Year 2019 selection! From the bestselling creators of The Bad Seed, a timely story about not having to be Grade A perfect!
- Bad Seed: A New York Times bestseller! An Amazon Best Children’s Book of the Month from the New York Times bestselling author of the Goodnight Already! This is a book about a bad seed. A baaaaaaaaaad seed. How bad? Do you really want to know?
- Yoga Bunny by Brian Russo
- Kid-Friendly Yoga Poses for the Mindful & Meditative. Relax and unwind with Yoga Bunny! It’s a perfect day for yoga, and Bunny is practicing his poses and wishes his friends would do yoga with him! But Lizard is too tired, Fox is in a rush, and Bird has the hiccups. Will Bunny ever be able to get his friends to slow down and realize that yoga just might be the solution to their problems?
Upcoming from HC
- The Self-Care Solution by Dr. Jennifer Ashton (on sale: 12/30/19)
- ABC’s chief medical correspondent helps you ring in the New Year right with a resolution that’s actually doable: a year-long plan to improve your emotional and physical health—from giving up alcohol to doing a digital detox, but each for only one month.
- Old School Love by Rev Run and Justine Simmons (on sale: 01/28/20)
- RUN DMC.’s iconic rapper Joseph “Reverend Run” Simmons and his wife, Justine, share their secrets to lasting love and the guiding principles that have kept them together for more than twenty years.
- Rise by Lindsey Vonn (on sale: 3/24/20)
- The first ever memoir from the greatest female ski racer of all time, revealing never before told stories of her life in the fast lane – and the bold decisions that helped her break down barriers for athletes around the world.
- Nothing General About It by Maurice Benard (on sale: 04/07/20)
- The Emmy Award-winning star of General Hospital chronicles his astonishing and emotional life journey in this powerful memoir—an inspiring story of success, show business, and family, and his struggle with mental illness.
- Boys and Sex by Peggy Orenstein (on sale: 01/07/20)
- The author of the groundbreaking New York Times bestsellers Girls & Sex and Cinderella Ate My Daughter now turns her focus to the sexual lives of young men, once again offering “both an examination of sexual culture and a guide on how to improve it” (Washington Post).
- Just Feed Me by Jessie James Decker
From Other Publishers
- The Water Dancer by Ta-Nehisi Coates
- #1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER • OPRAH’S BOOK CLUB PICK • From the National Book Award–winning author of Between the World and Me, a boldly conjured debut novel about a magical gift, a devastating loss, and an underground war for freedom.
- Know my Name by Chanel Miller
- An Instant New York Times Bestseller. Chosen as a BEST BOOK OF THE YEAR by The New York Times Book Review, The Washington Post, TIME, Elle, Glamour, and Paste Magazine. She was known to the world as Emily Doe when she stunned millions with a letter. Brock Turner had been sentenced to just six months in county jail after he was found sexually assaulting her on Stanford’s campus. Her victim impact statement was posted on BuzzFeed, where it instantly went viral–viewed by eleven million people within four days, it was translated globally and read on the floor of Congress; it inspired changes in California law and the recall of the judge in the case. Thousands wrote to say that she had given them the courage to share their own experiences of assault for the first time.
- Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens
- #1 New York Times Bestseller. More than 4 million copies sold. A Reese Witherspoon x Hello Sunshine Book Club Pic. For years, rumors of the “Marsh Girl” have haunted Barkley Cove, a quiet town on the North Carolina coast. So in late 1969, when handsome Chase Andrews is found dead, the locals immediately suspect Kya Clark, the so-called Marsh Girl. But Kya is not what they say. Sensitive and intelligent, she has survived for years alone in the marsh that she calls home, finding friends in the gulls and lessons in the sand. Then the time comes when she yearns to be touched and loved. When two young men from town become intrigued by her wild beauty, Kya opens herself to a new life–until the unthinkable happens.
- A Warning by Anonymous
- An unprecedented behind-the-scenes portrait of the Trump presidency from the anonymous senior official whose first words of warning about the president rocked the nation’s capital.
- Maybe You Should Talk to Someone by Lori Gotlieb
- INSTANT NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER! Now being developed as a television series with Eva Longoria and ABC! *An O, The Oprah Magazine’s Best Nonfiction Book of 2019* *A People Magazine Book of the Week* *An Apple Best Books Pick for April* *An April IndieNext Pick* *A Book of the Month Club Selection* *A Publishers Marketplace Buzz Book**A Newsday, Apple iBooks, Thrive Global, Refinery29, and Book Riot Most Anticipated Book of 2019* From a New York Times best-selling author, psychotherapist, and national advice columnist, a hilarious, thought-provoking, and surprising new book that takes us behind the scenes of a therapist’s world–where her patients are looking for answers (and so is she).