NEW YORK (AP) — The sobering musical “Jagged Little Pill,” which plumbs Alanis Morissette’s 1995 breakthrough album to tell a story of an American family spiraling out of control, earned a leading 15 Tony Award nominations Thursday. The Broadway community took the first steps to celebrate a pandemic-shortened season that upended the theater world.
Best Perf. by an Actress in a Featured Role in a Musical:
• @kathryng, @jaggedlittlepill
• @celiargooding, @jaggedlittlepill
• @robynheartsNY, @moulinrougebway
• @PattenLauren, @jaggedlittlepill
• Myra Lucretia Taylor, @tinabroadway#TonyAwards #Nominations pic.twitter.com/j9dfsb2O7M
— The Tony Awards (@TheTonyAwards) October 15, 2020
The nominations were pulled from just 18 eligible plays and musicals, a fraction of the 34 shows the season before.
Broadway theaters abruptly closed on March 12, knocking out all shows — including 16 that were still scheduled to open in the spring.